Crowdfunding platform drives development of creative enterprises in SA.Cape Town, November 2013 – Thundafund.com, the South African online crowdfunding platform, which has raised over R400 000 to fund 20 projects since June, will host an official launch at the Cape Quarter in Green Point, Cape Town on Thursday, November 28.
Crowdfunding has become a global force in funding new business ventures by leveraging the power of social media platforms to create start-up capital. Global funding collected through crowdfunding is expected to reach R50billion this year. Crowdfunding targets range from as little as R5000, up to the mega targets of over R100 million.
Based in Cape Town, Thundafund.com is driving crowdfunding in South Africa and their focus is on the funding of creative and innovative ventures. The site went live in June 2013, and has already raised over R400 000 for 20 projects. Thundafund is expecting that total to grow to as much R1 million over the next three months.
Thundafund’s three year goal, based on extensive global and local research and the sites development, is to have 3400 projects funded, R173 million raised and 10 000 jobs created.
“Crowdfunding has the potential to play a significant role in new enterprise development in South Africa and Africa. Thundafund.com is and will be at the leading edge of this wave,” said Thundafund co-founder Patrick Schofield.
Thundafunded projects include:
· Evolve Ybike (3-in-1 combination tricycle and balance bike) 65 supporters helped exceed the target of R30,000 to raise R49,070. A 165% crowdfunded project. http://www.thundafund.com/ybike
· T2T Africa Expedition Team saw 82 supporters raise R61,150, exceeding their target of R13,500 by 453%.
· Mooibos Vertical Gardens achieved R18,773 raised of a R10,000 target, equaling 188% crowdfunded with 37 supporters. http://www.thundafund.com/mooibos
· Benguela’s 5th Album raised R10,770 on a R9000 target to finalise recording costs.120% crowdfunded by 44 supporters. http://www.thundafund.com/benguela
· Oranjezicht City Farm crowdfunded R30 950 of their R10 000 target, 310% funded, to assist the farms aim of a ‘Veggielution’. http://www.thundafund.com/ozcf
· Open Streets Cape Town rallied up R40 720, within a crowdfunding community of 70 supporters. www.thundafund.com/openstreets
Official Thundafund Launch Details:
Thundafund will be having their official ‘landed’ launch on Thursday, November 28 to celebrate the success of all projects. The launch is open to prospective entrepreneurs, investors, media and members of the public.
Date: Thursday, November 28
Venue: The Market Bar, Main Square @ Cape Quarter, De Waterkant, Cape Town
2.00pm- 5.00pm: Exhibitions, talks, project mini-launches, conversations on crowdfunding,
creativity & entrepreneurship.
5.30pm – 6.30pm: Official Launch – Guest Speakers, toasts & celebration!
6.30pm – 8.30pm: Meet the creatives, innnovators and entrepreneurs who are changing our world.
Notes to Editor: If you would like images of successfully funded projects, or to interview the Thundafund team or
project owners, please contact Verity Price on 082 685 5256.
Thundafund Contact: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are Thundafund: The South African Online Crowdfunding Café.