It’s the year of Twenty ‘Fortune’!
We are proud to share that since June 2013, when Thundafund first went live, 1372 people have backed projects on Thundafund, and over R700 000 has been raised. A book, two documentaries, a bread business, Cape Town representation at Poetry Olympics in Chicago, a kids theatre show and several hanging succulent gardens now exist, all thanks to you.
In this Newsletter: WDC2014, R20 000 in one day, Upcoming Crowdfunding workshop – Cool things you can get on Thundafund – Successful project shout outs and a special deal from DaddyO – the business incubator where our offices are currently based. Continue reading
With 1300 projects submitted, 450 making it through to World Design Capital – ONLY a selected few will get to pitch the projects that they submitted at the WDC2014 Tuesday Pitching Sessions. A selection panel from Cape Town Design NPC will select 1 project on each of the pitching nights who will receive a R10 000.00 cash prize for the best pitch.
These pitches are open to the public & the audience will also include investors, philanthropists, venture capitalists, & social profit projects. Join in!
“Look at Crowdfunding as a shopping mall for doing a specific thing: Thundafund Is a shopping mall for new creative & innovative ideas. People walk pass shops & then decide to stop & check it out – this is your project.
Think about the way in which the Young Designer Emporium operates; where they are 1 store that hold spaces for number of designers to place their labels; these are the principles upon which Thundafund operates.”
The objective of Thundafund is to showcase your venture. Continue reading
So, you’re geared and ready to partake in the World Design Capital 2014. Well, ready is a strong word, but you’re itching and willing! If you missed it, Thundafund hosted a ‘Conversations on Crowdfunding’, 10 December 2013, surrounding the team’s role in assisting recognized WDC2014 projects with crowdfunding, WDC2014 match-funding & how you can ensure you give it the best you’ve got.
What was said, what did you miss?
The conversation was centered around how to present your WDC project in a viable, accessible manner to which the crowd will easily respond.
The key point: Thundafund is collaborating with World Design Capital on a ‘1st come, 1st served’ basis that will benefit the FIRST 90 project submissions. This means matched funding for those successful Milestone 1’s of an amount up to R10 000.
The World Design Capital has in common with Thundafund one very important aspect: the aim of building community. This is a goal that serves not only the individual projects but the greater creative and public community.
Get people involved, get involved with others – facilitate growth and change….
If you are planning on submitting your WDC2014 project for crowdfunding, here are some tips:
- Plan and outline your project to the best of your abilities. Check Thundafund‘s successful and current project’s out & even back one to gauge the process of crowdfunding (plus, perhaps even get some good karma in when you go live).
- Be imaginative and realistic when it comes to rewards, give people something that will be worth their investment.
- There are 3 types of rewards elements:
- 1. Retail: The product and product performance
- 2. Experience & Access
- 3. Recognition
- Do your absolute best to promote your project & getting the crowd to shout-out about you – a mash of marketing, media & constant communication with those you want involved on the journey from dream to reality with you.
- Be hands-on, open to opinions from friends and supporters and adaptable.
- Set a realistic budget and, in turn, realistic and attainable milestones.
Ready to roll…? Submit your WDC2014 project on Thundafund now: Thundafund Project Submission.
To assist you in your crowdfunding campaigns, there will be a series of workshops and webinars in the following months, starting in January. To attend, please contact Thundafund directly.
Conversations on Crowdfunding 2014:
For more det’s and to join in – contact Thundafund: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @Thundafund / www.twitter.com/thundafund
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/thundafund
- Web address: www.thundafund.com
Let’s work together to be the change we envision!